Numerical Modeling of the Settlement Distribution and Excavation's Vertical Displacement in Nailing Method
Numerical simulation is one of the valuable instruments for increasing the perception of the behavior of different structures, and through it, that changes in stress and strain, displacement and etc., in different parts of the structure can be observed. One of the good features of this method is its inexpensiveness, but to use this method, it is required to have anadequate understanding of its environment and properties. One of the software that can be employed to perform this is the Plaxis software.
The Plaxis program, with the participation of more than thirty European companies under the title of the CUR Consortium, was studied and examined and the precision of its performance was determined by these studies.
We used 15-node elements in this project, which has a much greater precision than the 6-node elements in the software, giving us more precise results, but with a lower computing speed than 6-node mode.
Geometry drawing of all types of the model
Geometry drawing of the model with various available tools in the software
Demonstration of the internal forces created schematically
Demonstration of the displacement created in different places in a schematic and numerical fashion
Drawing diagrams for displacement based on computational steps
What you will learn in this modeling
• How to model the soil nailing in the Plaxis software
• How to get the outputs necessary to conclude
• Difference between types of settlement in studied soil types
• Comparison between settlement in nailing and non-nailing modes
• Investigating the effect of increasing the distance from excavation on the measure of displacement
• Drawing diagrams for soil displacement in different places
Tips and Requirements
1. Familiarity with the Plaxis software environment
2. Familiarity with the subsets of Plaxis software
3. Familiar with the information on the nails
4. Familiarity with drawing charts in Plaxis software
5. Outputs are visible in Plaxis software (version 5.2 and above)
Site's Objectives in Presenting this Project
This project has been used for numerical modeling of the settlement distribution and excavation's vertical displacement in nailing method. This project could be helpful for university students, researchers and etc. Also it could be proved useful in scientific and industrial projects, and MSc and PhD theses. In some cases, university students require investigation and research for their MSc and PhD theses. Sincethe present project consists of a complete project and includes all university flowcharts, it could prove useful.